21 February 2020

Memories...


A dear friend sent me this photo the other day.
This is, I believe, from 1988. 
It's the only photo I have from my Hueco Tanks era.

For those who don't know, Hueco Tanks is a rock climbing area outside of El Paso TX. It became popular in the late 80s / early 90s as a bouldering destination and rapidly became a global hotbed.

Pete's (aka the Quonset Hut) was a small general store inside an old quonset hut on the road to Hueco Tanks. The upstairs of the hut was an unfinished space that had a window added into it along with a small wood-burning stove. If you were an itinerant climber, or a professional boulderer during that time, you likely spent some time at Pete's. You could describe it in many ways as a "rite of passage."

I spent three winters at Pete's.
Three winters of freezing winds and late night kangaroo rat parties on my sleeping bag.
Three winters of gorditas and the worst spaghetti ever.
Three winters of incredible freedom and experiences and some of the best people I've ever known.

Anyone who was there - you know what I'm talking about.
This photo captures the experience better than any other I've seen.



Pete's, Hueco Tanks, late '80s


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home